12 years ago today I married my college sweetheart and if you would've asked me back then what I expected to happen in the next 12 years, there is no way I could begin to form the list of the things we have experienced together. We have had our share of storms and sunny days, but no matter what, we know that we will always have the other to lean on, cry with, laugh with, worry with, pray with, and everything else! So in honor of our 12 years, I will do my best to share our story.
I went to audition at Tarleton State in April of 1995. I played my french horn, sang for them, and played the piano that day. A nice girl named Amberly showed me around the campus. I remember seeing Justin and Bull sitting on the couches outside of the choir room, where everyone usually hangs out between classes in the music building. We didn't meet each other then, but I do remember seeing him. I enrolled in the fall and saw him around the music building, but at that time I was strictly in the band and piano studio, so our paths never crossed. But in January we were both in a production of opera scenes and as fate would have it, I was assigned by my distant cousin & opera director, Dr. Janette Kavanaugh, to sit on Justin's lap in the bar scene of Carmen. The first day I didn't put my weight on his lap for the entire rehearsal because I didn't want to crush him. I was SO sore the next day and I told him I was sorry but I was sitting on his lap during the next rehearsal! Soon after that production there was a musical that I was in with his best friend Bull, so I saw him every now and then at those rehearsals. We started talking and hanging out at the dorms and on valentines day I gave him some sweet-tart hearts. He said then that he owed me some cheddar fries at Montanas, a yummy place to eat in Stephenville.
So on March 1st we had our first date. But wouldn't you know it, it was super crowded and I was starving....not much has changed...so we ate at a local diner called Peacocks. It was just as you would envision a local diner...but it was still good! Afterwards we went back to my dorm and watched "The Jungle Book". After the movie he was a gentleman and asked if he could kiss me. I said yes and the rest is history. We dated from March 1st of 96 to July 17th of 99. He proposed on October 15th of 98, right before the Yamboree, so I had all of my family and friends to share the announcement with. He really made the proposal special, but I will save that for another post.
12 years ago today was a very magical night, mostly due to my dad's vision and hard work towards our wedding. It was spectacular, as was everything my dad did. The church gym was transformed into a beautiful garden scene and it hadn't been transformed into something as beautiful as that until July of last year when my sister had her wedding reception there. I think Dad planted his visions into my mom's dreams, because she said she could have never pulled it off without him! Both weddings were gorgeous and both had the love of my dad put into them. I love thinking back to that special night....thank you Justin for an amazing 12 years! I love you!
Graduation Laundry Gift
1 year ago

Love your story! Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDelete