Two things are weighing heavy on my heart at the moment, so I will dive in....
1) Kids pick up on what parents like. If Daddy roots for the Rangers, then odds are kids will start cheering for them too. As a parent, what is it that you like that your kids witness day in and day out? Are Christian homes living spiritual lives? Some say they love the Lord, yet they don't utter His name in their house. It is not laziness, the busy-ness of life, or emotional exhaustion. It is simply the lack of righteous living. Quit with the excuses already! You can only give what you have. Just like in an airplane, they tell the parent to adjust your own mask before putting on your child's mask.....same goes with your relationship with God. Get things right with yourself and God so you can teach your children to walk in the light. There is no such thing as a spiritual evolution. Some say they have been going to church forever, so they know they are a Christian. Just because you sit in a garage it doesn't make you a car. It doesn't matter how long you went to church...is there a time in your life that you accepted Christ and had a spiritual rebirth? There shouldn't be a gray area to this, it's simply yes or no. We as parents have such an important role to play and if there is one thing I want my kids to know without a shadow of a doubt, it is that their momma loves Jesus. I want them to see me reading His word and praying to Him with my trials and praising Him through both the good times and bad. And as much as I want them to experience these things for themselves, it is not my choice, but theirs. I have prayed for friends and loved ones and their relationship with God and as much as I want to help them make the choice, there is nothing more I can do but to pray for them and set the best Christian example I know how. Sometimes I ask myself if it is enough, but I know God is at work and He has a plan.
This is great way to visualize and explain sharing the love of God with your family. As a parent, when the rain rolls in we get our umbrella and huddle up our sweet children under it to shield them from the storm. If they start to run away we try to follow them, trying our best to keep that shield of protection over them. But wouldn't it be better, as parents, for our children to have their own protection over them, so that when the day comes that they do wander away, they will still be protected? So many are walking around with our hand in the air with nothing protecting them. Don't give your kids things, don't give your kids 10 minutes of your time after work and think it is making a difference, and don't just give them church. Give Them Jesus.
2) A family friend decided to end his life by committing suicide. I can't imagine what could be going on in your life that would be so horrible for a person to turn to this. I am praying for his wife, & for his sons that not only have to deal with the loss of their father, but the fact that their father chose to leave them. My heart is hurting for this family.
Graduation Laundry Gift
1 year ago

You are so right. Children need to see their parents having a relationship with Jesus and if we as parents really want our children to have that relationship we need to model it. Thank you for that reminder! I needed that.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for the loss of your family friend. How sad and tragic. I'm thinking about you and praying for understanding for his family.